BIG NEWS!


Hey guys! I know it's been a long time since I have had the chance to post something, with the COVID situation there's not been much of a change or anything worth blogging about. But I have some new recipes to share, we've started renovating our back forest kitchen, have plans for an opening at the gallery in september and... WERE EXPECTING!


It came as a sort of shock because we thought we had more time. With all of our plans for the future being out on hold (our gallery, catering business, wedding etc - all amazing things that we are lucky to still have during this period) because of the pandemic we thought that maybe it was the time to "think" about having children. We spoke to our doctor who informed us that it usually takes a year to conceive, so we felt assured we had time for all our projects and plans before becoming pregnant. Well, 4 weeks later just being off birth control we were pleasantly surprised! (and also very lucky - we know it is not always this quick or "easy" for a lot of people trying to conceive) 


(a cool notification i got last week)

Fastforward and I am now currently 16 weeks pregnant with our little "Bubba" (thanks to our Australian friends Lis and Andrew for giving us the nickname). We found out through blood tests that its a girl and she's perfectly healthy; which was a huge relief with my thyroid disease. 


(yesterday at the hospital sending selfies to Bert)

I have to go to the hospital a lot during the period for blood tests and to regulate my thyroid to make sure nothing can hurt our baby. In the beginning Bert was not allowed to join me to the appointments because of the health restrictions but we were allowed special permission for him to see the her and hear her heartbeat during the ultrasounds. Amazing moment.


There's actually a lot you can do to help your thyroid stay healthy during your pregnancy; obviously stay on top of your medication and blood tests, daily exercise (i do prenatal yoga, pilates and running) and your diet. Upon finding out, I have had to do a complete overhaul on what I eat and drink, had to run everything by my doctor not only to make sure that it was safe for Bubba but if she was getting all the nutrients needed for her development and keep my thyroid healthy. I have had to cut out a lot of my favorite things (sushi, raw steak, ramen noodles with eggs yolks, and wine) and have to be extremely careful when consuming raw veggies. I am fortunate though, in that I don't have to give up my spicy food! Bert has been sweet by picking up spicy shrimp Pad Thai on his way home from work if i am too tired to cook (wasn't expecting to be so tired all the time, even in my second trimester). And i have invested in some new cookbooks that are "safe" during this period. 


I bought a Brazilian cookbook and one of my favorite things that I have tried so far is Moqeuca de CamarĂ£o (Brazilian Shrimp Stew with Coconut Milk). Absolutely delicious and satisfies a lot of my cravings. I do add a lot more cayenne and other spicy to make it super hot (thank god Bert is ok with that).

Here is the recipe I found on youtube:


Along with my homemade curries i started making naan (cheese, garlic and butter . -yummy). I always prefered going to my favorite Indian restaurant in Gent, Rasoi, their curries and naan are the best. But I have had the time to make it myself (still nowhere near as good as theirs) and Bert seems very happy with it.


This is the youtube video i used:




Happy husband! Love this guy so much!

(Long time ago, visiting with no masks)

Along with the pandemic and being pregnant we've had to be extremely careful with social distancing and any activities (even outdoor) with other people. I really miss cooking food and having friends over for dinner and drinks - we never deviate out of respect for front line and essential workers. Although, I am hoping that maybe this summer it will be more under control so things can go back to somewhat "normal". A lot of our friends have had their businesses and incomes heavily affected by this, again please support local businesses instead of larger companies benefiting off of the pandemic. We are fortunate that, although we know people who have had covid, no one has suffered life threatening symptoms or passed away. I really hope that everyone stays happy and healthy during this time, in every way. I know that this is a difficult period on some level for the whole world - especially lower income areas hit with limited resources, racism and no access to proper healthcare. I know how privileged I am to be sitting here updating my blog about my life while others are suffering and I truly hope these updates do not offend anyone. 


Until we can all meet again in person, please keep safe and keep care and hopefully the 5 of us can have friends over for a plate and a drink at Sharma Farm Foodie and Sherwood Black Studios.

Love from,

Bert, Alex, Jacky, Huck and "Bubba".











 



Reacties

Populaire posts